Professor Dr. Chuanlun Zhang has been dedicating his career to biogeochemical and geomicrobiological research as well as student training for nearly 20 years. His research interests include the role that microorganisms play in the environment and energy transfer, life evolution and global climate change. His research strength lies in integration of lipid biomarkers, stable isotopes and molecular DNA to study microbial (particularly archaeal) activities in carbon and nitrogen cycles. Major research topics include, but are not limited to, geomicrobiology in ocean trenches, deep subsurface, hot springs and other extreme environments; biogeochemistry associated with marine gas hydrates; genomics of marine and terrestrial archaea; and development and application of climate and environmental proxies. Prof. Zhang has published over 140 SCI papers over 6500 citations and an H-index of 50 (Google Scholar).Dr. Zhang had served on the editorial board of the Applied and Environmental Microbiology, and is currently on editorial boards for Archaea and SCIENCE CHINA Earth Sciences and the associate editor for Frontiers in Microbiology.
- B.S., Geology. East China Petroleum Institute, People's Republic of China, 1984.
- M.S., Geology. Texas A&M University, 1989.
- Ph.D., Geology. Texas A&M University, 1994.
- 2016-present Chair Professor and vice departmental chair, Department of Ocean Science and Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China
- 2012-2016 Professor, State Key Laboratory of Marine Geology, School of Ocean and Earth Sciences, Tongji University, Shanghai, China.
- 2011-2014 Professor, Department of Marine Sciences, University of Georgia.
- 2008-2011 Lecturer Professor, State Key Laboratory of Marine Geology, School of Ocean and Earth Sciences, Tongji University, Shanghai, China.
- 2002-2011 Associate Professor, Department of Marine Sciences, University of Georgia.
- 2002-2007 Associate Research Scientist, Savannah River Ecology Laboratory, Univ. Georgia.
- 1998-2002 Assistant Professor, Department of Geological Sciences, University of Missouri.
- 1994-1998 Postdoctoral Fellow, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN.
- A Junior Faculty Award from the Oak Ridge Associated Universities 2001
- A Research and Development 100 Award from the Department of Energy 2006
- The Excellent Off Campus Scholar from the Miami University 2007
- The Excellent Editorial Member Award three times in a row (2013, 2014, 2015) from “China Science: Earth Science".
- The Vice Chair (2018) and Chair (2020) of the Gordon Research Conference on Ocean Biogeochemistry