Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) is a public university founded in the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone of China.
SUSTech offers an unparalleled learning and research experience at the scientific and technological frontiers.
SUSTech offers unprecedented opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to work alongside the faculty to explore and tackle both fundamental and practical problems.
The Global Engagement Office (GEO) is responsible for forming and implementing a coherent strategy to promote the University’s international development and global profile.
The undergraduate admission of SUSTech adopts comprehensive evaluation enrollment mode based on national college entrance examination.The graduate admission of SUSTech currently adopts joint training mode.
The main duties of SUSTCEF is to accept the donations from the domestic and foreign associations, enterprises, trading companies and individuals, and establish the funding projects depending on the demands of the university and the wishes of the donors.
Department of Biomedical Engineering
2012-2016 Ph. D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Auckland, New Zealand
2009-2011 M. S. in Mechatronics, Chongqing University, China
2005-2009 B. S. in Mechanical Engineering, Henan University of Science and Technology, China
August of 2018-Present Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology
2017-2018 Visiting Research Fellow, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Auckland, New Zealand
2017-2018 Vice President, CASTIOT LIMITED, Auckland, New Zealand
2015-2016 Research Assistant/Fellow, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Auckland, New Zealand
Medical and Rehabilitation Robotics
Wearable Devices for Health Monitoring
Adaptive and Intelligent Control
Human Robot Interaction
Bio-signal Processing and Applications
Brain Computer Interface
Robotic Systems for Coordination Training (Bilateral Limbs, Brain, and Eyes)
Honors and Awards:
1. IEEE Member
2. Associate Editor, 2018 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics
3. Invited Referee for IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on Neural System and Rehabilitation Engineering, Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, etc
1. Q. Miao, A. McDaid, M. Zhang*, P. Kebria, H. Li, “A three-stage trajectory determination method of bilateral upper limb training using interference analysis”, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 2018. 105: p. 38-46.
2. M. Zhang*, S. Zhang, A. McDaid, C. Davies, Sheng Q. Xie, “Automated objective robot-assisted assessment of wrist passive ranges of motion”, Journal of Biomechanics, 2018. 73: p. 223–226.
3. Q. Miao, M. Zhang*, C. Wang, H. Li, “Towards optimal robot design for ankle rehabilitation: The state of art and future prospects”, Journal of Healthcare Engineering, 2018.
4. M. Zhang, S. Xie, X. Li, G. Zhu, W. Meng, X. Huang, A. Veale, “Adaptive Patient-Cooperative Control of a Compliant Ankle Rehabilitation Robot (CARR) with Enhanced Training Safety”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2017. 65(2): p. 1398 – 1407.
5. M. Zhang, J. Cao, G. Zhu, Q. Miao, X. Zeng, S. Xie, “Reconfigurable Workspace and Torque Capacity of a Compliant Ankle Rehabilitation Robot (CARR)”, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 2017. 98: p. 213-221.
6. M. Zhang, J. Cao, S. Xie, G. Zhu, X. Zeng, X. Huang, Q. Xu, “A Preliminary Study on Robot-Assisted Ankle Rehabilitation for the Treatment of Drop Foot”, Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems, 2017.
7. Q. Miao, M. Zhang*, S. Xie, “Design and Interaction Control of a New Bilateral Upper Limb Rehabilitation Device (BULReD)”, Journal of Healthcare Engineering, 2017.
8. M. Zhang, T.C. Davies, Y Zhang, and S. Xie, “A Robot-Driven Computational Model Based Ankle Assessment Technique with Subject-Specific Adaptation”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 2016. 63(4): p. 814-21.
9. M. Zhang, T.C. Davies, Y. Zhang, and S. Xie, “A real-time computational model for estimating kinematics of ankle ligaments”, Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2016. 19(8): p. 835-44.
10. M. Zhang, T.C. Davies, A. Nandakumar, and S. Xie, “A Novel Assessment Technique for Measuring Ankle Orientation and Stiffness”, Journal of Biomechanics, 2015, 48(12): p. 3527-9.
11. M. Zhang, T.C. Davies, Y. Zhang, and S. Xie, Zhang, M., et al., Reviewing effectiveness of ankle assessment techniques for use in robot-assisted therapy. Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development, 2014. 51(4), p. 517-34.
12. M. Zhang, et al., “An Assistance-as-Needed Control Paradigm for Robot-Assisted Ankle Rehabilitation”, Rehabilitation Process and Outcome, 2014: p. 15-17.
13. M. Zhang, T.C. Davies, and S. Xie, Effectiveness of robot-assisted therapy on ankle rehabilitation — a systematic review. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 2013. 10(1): p. 30.
14. 王时龙（导师），张明明，周杰，赵昱，李小勇，田波，“振动状态下螺旋弹簧运动状态模型”，机械工程学报， 2012, 48 (1): 78-83.
15. X. Zeng, G. Zhu, M. Zhang, and S. Xie, “Reviewing Clinical Effectiveness of Active Training Strategies of Platform based Ankle Rehabilitation Robots”, Journal of Healthcare Engineering, 2018.
16. X. Zeng, G. Zhu, L. Yue, M. Zhang, and S. Xie, “A Feasibility Study of SSVEP-based Passive Training on an Ankle Rehabilitation Robot”, Journal of Healthcare Engineering, 2017.
17. D. Xu, M. Zhang*, Y. Sun, X. Zhang, H. Xu, Y. Li, X. Li, S. Xie, “Development of a Reconfigurable Wrist Rehabilitation Device with an Adaptive Forearm Holder”, 2018 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM): Auckland, New Zealand.
18. H. Xu, M. Zhang*, Y. Li, D. Xu, J. Fu, X. Zhang, X. Li, S. Xie, “A Pneumatic Robotic System for Bilateral Upper Limb Training with Variable Resistance”, 2018 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM): Auckland, New Zealand.
19. X. Zeng, G. Zhu*, P. Li, H. Lu, M. Zhang, S. Xie “A Feasibility Study of Robot-Assisted Ankle Training Triggered by Combination of SSVEP Recognition and Motion Characteristics”, 2018 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM): Auckland, New Zealand.
20. M. Zhang, S. Xie, W. Meng, G. Zhu, X. Zeng, X. Huang, Q. Xu, “Robot-assisted ankle rehabilitation for the treatment of drop foot: A case study”, 12th IEEE/ASME International Conference on in Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications, 2016: Auckland, New Zealand.
21. M. Zhang, B. Sheng, T. C. Davies, W. Meng, S. Q. Xie, “Model based Open-Loop Posture Control of a Parallel Ankle Assessment and Rehabilitation”, IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, 2015: Busan, Korea.
22. M. Zhang, A. Nandakumar, and S. Xie, “A Virtual-Reality Tracking Game for Use in Robot-Assisted Ankle Rehabilitation”, 10th IEEE/ASME International Conference on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications, 2014: Senigallia, Italy.
23. M. Zhang, Y. Zhang, T C. Davies, S. Xie., “An in-Vivo Lateral Ankle Ligament Strain Behavior Assessment Technique for Potential Use in Robot-Assisted Therapy”, in 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2014: Chicago, US.
24. M. Zhang , S. Wang , J. Zhou, “Experimental Research of Dynamic Parameters of Stranded-wire Helical Springs Withstanding Impact Load”, International Conference on Mechanical Engineering and Technology, 2011: London, UK.
25. M. Zhang , S. Wang , J. Zhou, “Development of Impacting Fatigue Test Device of Stranded-wire Helical Springs”, International Conference on Information Technology and Management Engineering, 2011: Wuhan, China.
26. W. Meng, Q. Liu, M. Zhang, Q. Ai, and S. Xie “Compliance adaptation of an intrinsically soft ankle rehabilitation robot driven by pneumatic muscles”, 2017 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM): Munich, Germany.
27. W. Meng, Q. Liu, M. Zhang, B. Sheng, S. Q. Xie, “Robot-Assisted Ankle Rehabilitation Training on an Adult with Cerebral Palsy: A Case Report”, the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, 2015: Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
28. J. Cao, S.Q. Xie, M. Zhang, Raj Das, “A New Dynamic Modelling Algorithm for Pneumatic Muscle Actuators”, in 7th International Conference on Intelligent Robotics and Applications, 2014: Guangzhou, China.