Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) is a public university founded in the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone of China.
SUSTech offers an unparalleled learning and research experience at the scientific and technological frontiers.
SUSTech offers unprecedented opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to work alongside the faculty to explore and tackle both fundamental and practical problems.
The Global Engagement Office (GEO) is responsible for forming and implementing a coherent strategy to promote the University’s international development and global profile.
The undergraduate admission of SUSTech adopts comprehensive evaluation enrollment mode based on national college entrance examination.The graduate admission of SUSTech currently adopts joint training mode.
The main duties of SUSTCEF is to accept the donations from the domestic and foreign associations, enterprises, trading companies and individuals, and establish the funding projects depending on the demands of the university and the wishes of the donors.
Department of Biology
Dr. Li’s research work mainly focus on identification and characterization of cancer related genes in hepatocellular, esophageal and nasopharyngeal carcinomas; investigation of RNA editing events in cancer development; identification and characterization of cancer stem cell (CSC). In the past five years, Dr. Li has published more than 10 papers in international journals, including Nature Medicine, Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Gut, and etc.
2016-present Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, SUSTC
2013-2016 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Clinical Oncology, The University of Hong Kong
2008-2012 Ph.D., Department of Clinical Oncology, HKU, Hong Kong
2004-2008 Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology, Sun Yat-Sen University (SYSU), Guangzhou, China
Honors & Awards：
2014 Science and Technology Prize of Higher Education of China (Natural Science, Second-class, 2014). Guan Xin-Yuan, Chen Leilei, Ma Kwai Yee, Li Yan, Liu Ming, Ma Ning Fang, Hu Liang, Chan Hon Man. Title: The molecular mechanism in HCC initiation and progression.
2014 Faculty Outstanding Research Output, The University of Hong Kong
2013 Young Scientist Award (Life Science Panel), Hong Kong Institution of Science
2013 Dr KP Stephen Chang Gold Medal, The University of Hong Kong
2012 Li Ka Shing Prize, The University of Hong Kong.
2007 Pu Zhelong Fund for Youth Scholars, Sun Yat-sen University
1. Jiang L, Kwong DL, Li Y, Liu M, Yuan YF, Li Y, Fu L, Guan XY. HBP21, a chaperone of heat shock protein 70, functions as a tumor suppressor in hepatocellular carcinoma. Carcinogenesis. 2015 Oct;36(10):1111-20.
2. Song Y, Pan G, Chen L, Ma S, Zeng T, Chan HM, Li L, Lian Q, Chow R, Cai X, Li Y, Li Y, Liu M, Li Y, Zhu Y, Wong N, Yuan YF, Pei D, Guan XY. Loss of ATOH8 increases stem cell features of hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Gastroenterology. 2015 Oct;149(4):1068-81.
3. Li Y, Chen L, Chan TH, Guan XY. Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Transcriptome diversity regulated by RNA editing. The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology. 2013 Aug;45(8):1843-8.
4. Chen LL*, Li Y*, Chi HL, Liu M, Song YY, Chan TH, Yuan YF, Chow RKK, Fu L, Kong KL, Zhang N, Tong AHY, Kwong DLW, Man K, Lo CM, Lok S, Tenen DG, Guan XY. Recoding RNA editing of antizyme inhibitor 1 predisposes to hepatocellular carcinoma. Nature Medicine. 2013 Feb;19(2):209-16. (*:Co-first anthor)
5. Li Y, Chen LL, Chan TH, Liu M, Kong KL, Li Y, Qiu JL, Yuan YF, Guan XY. SPOCK1 is regulated by CHD1L and blocks apoptosis and promotes HCC cell invasiveness and metastasis in mice. Gastroenterology. 2013 Jan;144(1):179-191.
6. Liu M, Li Y, Chen L, Chan TH, Song Y, Fu L, Zeng TT, Dai YD, Zhu YH, Li Y, Chen J, Yuan YF, Guan XY. Allele-specific imbalance of oxidative stress-induced growth inhibitor 1 associates with progression of hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology. 2014 Apr;146(4):1084-96.
7. Liu L, Dai Y, Chen J, Zeng T, Li Y, Chen L, Zhu YH, Li J, Li Y, Xie D, Yuan YF, Guan XY. Maelstrom promotes hepatocellular carcinoma metastasis by inducing epithelial-mesenchymal transition via Akt/GSK-3β/Snail signaling. Hepatology. 2014 Feb;59(2):531-43.
8. Chan TH, Lin CH, Qi L, Fei J, Li Y, Yong KJ, Liu M, Song Y, Chow RK, Ng VH, Yuan YF, Tenen DG, Guan XY, Chen L. A disrupted RNA editing balance mediated by ADARs in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Gut. 2014 May;63(5):832-43.
9. Liu M, Chen LL, Chan TH, Wang J, Li Y, Li Y, Zeng TT, Yuan YF, Guan XY. Serum and glucocorticoid kinase 3 at 8q13.1 promotes cell proliferation and survival in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 2012;55:1754-65.
10. Kong KL, Kwong DL, Chan TH, Law SY, Chen L, Li Y, Qin YR, Guan XY. MicroRNA-375 inhibits tumor growth and metastasis in oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma through repressing insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor. Gut. 2012 Jan;61(1):33-42.
11. Li J, Lau GK, Chen L, Dong SS, Lan HY, Huang XR, Li Y, Luk JM, Yuan YF, Guan XY. Interleukin 17A promotes hepatocellular carcinoma metastasis via NF-kB induced matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 expression. PLoS One. 2011;6(7):e21816.
12. Tang DJ, Dong SS, Ma NF, Xie D, Chen LL, Fu L, Lau SH, Li Y, Li Y, Guan XY. Overexpression of EIF5A2 enhances cell motility and promotes tumor metastasis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 2010 Apr;51(4):1255-63.