Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) is a public university founded in the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone of China.
SUSTech offers an unparalleled learning and research experience at the scientific and technological frontiers.
SUSTech offers unprecedented opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to work alongside the faculty to explore and tackle both fundamental and practical problems.
The Global Engagement Office (GEO) is responsible for forming and implementing a coherent strategy to promote the University’s international development and global profile.
The undergraduate admission of SUSTech adopts comprehensive evaluation enrollment mode based on national college entrance examination.The graduate admission of SUSTech currently adopts joint training mode.
The main duties of SUSTCEF is to accept the donations from the domestic and foreign associations, enterprises, trading companies and individuals, and establish the funding projects depending on the demands of the university and the wishes of the donors.
Research Assistant Professor
School of Environmental Science and Engineering
Xiang Li, who graduated from West Virginia University at 2015 in United States, holds his Ph. D majoring in Environmental Engineering. After graduation, he worked as Postdoctoral Research Fellow and Postdoctoral Research Associate in United States Environmental Protection Agency (Cincinnati, OH) and University of Notre Dame (South Bend, IN), respectively. His main research focuses are: 1) Monitor and detect pathogenic bacterial and viral microbes in environmental waters; 2) Track fecal pollution sources in environmental settings and 3) Develop new microbial source tracking (MST) gene markers. As one of the main participants, he contributed to national projects in China, such as “973” and “863”; and United States’ repairing water quality related projects in his researching career. His work has been published and/or submitted to top environmental/environmental microbiology journals, such as Water Research, Environmental Science & Technology, and Applied and Environmental Microbiology.
Southern University of Science and Technology, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Research Assistant Professor
2018.10 – present，Southern University of Science and Technology, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Research Assistant Professor
2018.01 – 2018.10 University of Notre Dame, Department of Civil and Environmental and Earth Science，Postdoctoral Research Associate
2015.11 – 2017.12 United States Environmental Protection Agency，National Risk Management Research Laboratory, Postdoctoral Research Fellow
2012.01 – 2015.08 West Virginia University, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Ph. D
2007.09 – 2010.07 Liaoning Normal University, College of Life Science, M.S
2002.09 – 2006.07 Liaoning Normal University, College of Life Science, B.S
Reviewer for Aquaculture International, Journal of Environmental Engineering and Environmental Research
1) Apply MST in environmental waters
2) Develop MST qPCR gene targets/markers
3) Study environmental microbial diversity and functionality using metagenomics
1. K Bibby, K Crank, J Greaves, X Li, Z Wu, I Hamza, E Stachler (2018). Developing Molecular Viral Water Quality Tools in the Microbiome Era. Under revision by npj Clean Water.
2. X Li, M Sivaganesan, C Kelty and O Shanks (2018). Fecal score qPCR approach for microbial source tracking in Great Lake. Under preparation for Water Research.
3. X Li, M Sivaganesan, C Kelty, A Zimmer-Faust, P Clinton, J Reichman, Y Johnson, W Matthews, S Bailey and O Shanks (2018). Quantitative Real-Time PCR Fecal Source Identification in the Tillamook Basin. Submitted to Water Research.
4. K Crank✝, X Li✝, and K Bibby. Detecting crAssphage CPQ56 qPCR marker from sewage in Italy. Under preparation for Water Research. ✝ co-first author
5. X Li, K Crank, J Greaves, ZY Wu, N Morales-Soto and K Bibby (2018). Developing Cross-Assembly Phage as a Viral Indicator for Irrigation Waters. Under preparation for Int. J. Food. Microbiol.
6. X Li, L Peed, M Sivaganesan, C Kelty, C Nietch, O Shanks (2018). Evidence of Genetic Fecal Marker Interactions between Water Column and Periphyton in Artificial Streams. ACS Omega, 3 (8), pp 10107–10113.
7. E Stachler, C Kelty, M Sivaganesan, X Li, K Bibby and O Shanks. (2017). Quantitative CrAssphage PCR Assays for Human Fecal Pollution Measurement. Environ Sci Technol.
8. Weidhaas, J., Lin, L., Buzby, K., and X Li. (2016). Biodegradation of MCHM and PPH in River Microcosms and Activated Sludge. J. Environ. Eng.
9. X Li, Harwood VJ, Nayak B and Weidhaas J. (2016). Ultrafiltration and Microarray Detect Microbial Source Tracking Marker and Pathogen Genes in Riverine and Marine Systems. Appl. Environ. Microbiol.
10. X Li, Harwood VJ, Nayak B, Staley C, Sadowsky MJ, Weidhaas J. (2015). A Novel Microbial Source Tracking Microarray for Pathogen Detection and Fecal Source Identification in Environmental Systems. Environ Sci Technol. 49 (12), 7319-29.
11. LP Zheng, L Hou, M Yu, X Li, XY Zou. (2012). Cloning and the expression pattern of Spätzle gene during embryonic development and bacterial challenge in Artemia sinica. Mol Biol Rep. 39 (5), 6035-6042.
12. X Li, L Hou, J Ma, Y Liu, LP Zheng, XY Zou. (2012). Cloning and characterization of β-catenin gene in early embryonic developmental stage of Artemia sinica. Mol Biol Rep. 39 (1), 701-707.
13. LP Zheng, L Hou, AK Chang, M Yu, J Ma, X Li, XY Zou. (2011). Expression pattern of a gram-negative bacteria-binding protein in early embryonic development of Artemia sinica and after bacterial challenge. Dev Comp Immunol. 35 (1), 35-43.
14. X Li, QH Liu, L Hou, J Huang. (2010). Effect of VP28 DNA vaccine on white spot syndrome virus in Litopenaeus vannamei. Aquacult Int. 18 (6), 1035-1044.
15. X Li, QH Liu, L Hou, WB Chen. (2008). Progress on Development of DNA Vaccines and the Immunity Accelerant of Amylose in the Disease-controlling of Palaemon (In Chinese). Progress in Veterinary Medicine. 29 (11), 52-54.
Invited Talks and Presentations
1. Xiang Li, Lindsay Peed, Mano Sivaganesan, Catherine A. Kelty, Christopher Neitch, and Orin C. Shanks. (May, 2017). Simultaneous measurement of genetic fecal indicators in water column and periphyton biofilms in artificial streams. [Poster presentation. The 19th International Symposium on Health-Related Water Microbiology & UNC Water Microbiology Conference, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA]
2. Xiang Li, Jay R. Reichman, Amy Zimmer-Faust, Pat Clinton, Bevin Horn, Stephanie Bailey, York Johnson, William Matthews, Mano Sivaganesan, Catherine A. Kelty, and Orin C. Shanks. (May, 2017). Quantitative Real-Time PCR Fecal Source Identification in the Tillamook Basin. [Oral presentation. The 19th International Symposium on Health-Related Water Microbiology & UNC Water Microbiology Conference, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA]
3. Xiang Li, Harwood VJ, Nayak B, Staley C, Sadowsky MJ, Weidhaas J. (May, 2016). A Customized DNA Microarray for Microbial Source Tracking in Environmental Systems. [Poster presentation. Recreational Waters Conference, New Orleans, LA, USA]
4. Xiang Li and Weidhaas J. (May, 2014). Microbial Source Tracking (MST) Microarray for Advanced Pathogen Detection and Source Identification in Environmental Systems. [Poster presentation. 114th American Society for Microbiology general meeting, Boston, MA, USA]
5. Xiang Li and Weidhaas J. (April, 2014). Microbial Source Tracking (MST) DNA Microarray for Pathogen Detection. [89th West Virginia Academy of Science meeting, Shepherdstown, WV, USA]