Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) is a public university founded in the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone of China.
SUSTech offers an unparalleled learning and research experience at the scientific and technological frontiers.
SUSTech offers unprecedented opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to work alongside the faculty to explore and tackle both fundamental and practical problems.
The Global Engagement Office (GEO) is responsible for forming and implementing a coherent strategy to promote the University’s international development and global profile.
The undergraduate admission of SUSTech adopts comprehensive evaluation enrollment mode based on national college entrance examination.The graduate admission of SUSTech currently adopts joint training mode.
The main duties of SUSTCEF is to accept the donations from the domestic and foreign associations, enterprises, trading companies and individuals, and establish the funding projects depending on the demands of the university and the wishes of the donors.
School of Environmental Science and Engineering
Dr. Hong Chen
Assistant Professor of Environmental Science and Engineering
B.S. in Material Chemistry, China University of Geosciences, Prof. Jinzhong Chen Group;
M. S. Student in Rock and Mineral Materials, China University of Geosciences, Prof. Xiuling Wu Group;
Ph D. in Inorganic Chemistry, Stockholm University, Sweden, Prof. Junliang Sun and Xiaodong Zou Group.
Postdoc in Department of Organic Chemistry, KTH-Royal Institute of Technology, Prof. Licheng Sun Group, 2015-2016;
Wallenberg Research Fellow in Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource, Stanford University, Prof. Michael F. Toney Group, 2016-2018;
Joint Postdoc in Department of Chemistry, University of California-Berkeley, Prof. Peidong Yang Group, 2016-2018.
2016 The Wallenberg Foundation Postdoctoral Scholarship, The Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation.
2010 Top 10 Graduate Students, China University of Geosciences.
2009 PetroChina Scholarship, PetroChina Company Limited.
2008 Second Prize in Chemical Innovation Research Papers Competition, Hubei Province
2007 Second Prize in The Construction of New Countryside Research Papers Competition, Hubei Province
Invited reviewer for Advanced Materials, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, ChemSusChem, Dalton Transactions, CrysEngComm, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Journal of Membrane Science, ChemPhysChem, ChemPlusChem, European Inorganic Chemistry, RCS Advances, Applied Clay Science, Applied Surface Science, etc.
The Chen Lab is located at the School of Environmental Science & Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China. We are a metal-contained solid wastes/pollutants analysis and treatment lab with specific interests in developing atomic scale structure characterization tools for probing the atomic-scale structure of solid wastes/pollutants. Based on our understanding on the metal's atomic-scale chemical environment, we will further develop advanced environmental materials, environmental engineering devices and integrated systems for recycling or immobilizing the metal species in solid wastes/pollutants for various applications including clean energy engineering.
Publications (In recent 5 years)
+ equal contribution, * corresponding author.
1. Jun Li, Xiaoyong Wu, Wenfeng Pan, Gaoke Zhang* and Hong Chen*. Vacancy-Rich Monolayer BiO2-x as Highly Efficient UV, Visible and Near-Infrared Responsive Photocatalyst. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2018, 57, 491-495.
2. Jia Lin, Minliang Lai, Letian Dou, Christopher S. Kley, Hong Chen, Fei Peng, Junliang Sun, Dylan Lu, Steven A. Hawks, Chenlu Xie, Fan Cui, David T. Limmer, A. Paul Alivisatos, Peidong Yang. Thermochromic Halide Perovskite Solar Cells, Nature Materials, 2018, 17,261-267.
3. Peili Zhang, Lin Li, Dennis Nordlund, Hong Chen, Lizhou Fan, Biaobiao Zhang, Xia Sheng, Quenti Daniel, and Licheng Sun. Dendritic Core-Shell NiFeCu Metal/Metal Oxide Electrode for Efficient Electrocatalytic Water Oxidation, Nature Communications, 2018,9,381,1-10.
4. Jonas Ångström, Hong Chen, Wei Wan. Accurate lattice-parameter determination from electron diffraction tomography data using two-dimensional diffraction vectors， 2018， Journal of Applied Crystallography. DOI: 10.1107/S1600576718006635.
5. Zhiqiang Niu, Fan Cui, Elisabeth Kuttner, Chenlu Xie, Hong Chen, Yuchun Sun, Ahmad Dehestani, Kerstin Schierle-Arndt, and Peidong Yang. Synthesis of Silver Nanowires with Reduced Diameters Using Benzoin-Derived Radicals to Make Transparent Conductors with High Transparency and Low Haze. Nano Letters, 2018, DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.8b02479.
6. Linqin Wang, Jinbao Zhang, Peng Liu, Bo Xu, Biaobiao Zhang, Hong Chen, A. Ken Inge,Yuanyuan Li, Haoxin Wang, Yi-Bing Cheng, Lars Kloo and Licheng Sun. Design and synthesis of dopant-free organic hole-transport materials for perovskite solar cells. Chemical Communications, 2018, DOI: 10.1039/C8CC04026E.
1. Qingpeng Meng, Hong Chen*, Junzhong Lin, Zhang Lin, Junliang Sun*. Zeolite A synthesized from alkaline assisted pre-activated halloysite for efficient heavy metal removal in polluted river water and industrial wastewater. Journal of Environmental Sciences. 2017, 56, 254-262.
2. Biaobiao Zhang, Hong Chen , Quentin Daniel, Bertrand Philippe , Fengshou Yu, Mario Valvo, Yuanyuan Li, Ram B. Ambre, Peili Zhang, Fei Li , Håkan Rensmo, and Licheng Sun.Defective and “c-Disordered” Hortensia-like Layered MnOx as Efficient Electrocatalyst for Water Oxidation at Neutral pH, ACS Catalysis., 2017, 7, 6311–6322.
3. Jungang Hou, Yiqing Sun, Shuyan Cao, Yunzhen Wu, Hong Chen, and Licheng Sun. Graphene Dots Embedded Phosphide Nanosheet-Assembled Tubular Arrays for Efficient and Stable Overall Water Splitting, ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2017, 9(29):24600-24607.
4. Jin-Zhi Guo, Xing-Long Wu, Peng-Fei Wang, Xiao-Hua Zhang, Qingyu Yan, Hong Chen, Jing-Ping Zhang, Yu-Guo Guo, Rong-Shun Wang. High-energy and low-temperature cathode for sodium ion batteries, Advanced Materials, 1701968.
5. Ting Fan, Lele Duan, Ping Huang, Hong Chen, Quentin Daniel, Mårten S. G. Ahlquist, and Licheng Sun , The Ru-tpc Water Oxidation Catalyst and Beyond: Water Nucleophilic Attack Pathway versus Radical Coupling Pathway, ACS Catalysis., 2017, 7 , 2956–2966.
6. Ke Fan, Yongfei Ji, Haiyuan Zou, Jinfeng Zhang, Bicheng Zhu, Hong Chen, Quentin Daniel, Yi Luo, Jiaguo Yu, Licheng Sun. Hollow Iron–Vanadium Composite Spheres: A Highly Efficient Iron-Based Water Oxidation Electrocatalyst without the Need for Nickel or Cobalt, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2017, 56, 3289–3293.
7. Cheng Chen, Wei Zhang, Jiayan Cong, Ming Cheng, Biaobiao Zhang, Hong Chen, Peng Liu, Ruifeng Li, Majid Safdari, Lars Kloo, and Licheng Sun. Cu(II) Complexes as p-Type Dopants in Efficient Perovskite Solar Cells. ACS Energy Letters, 2017, 2, 497-503
8. Quentin Daniel, Ram B. Ambre, Biaobiao Zhang, Bertrand Philippe, Hong Chen, Fusheng Li, Ke Fan, Sareh Ahmadi, Håkan Rensmo, and Licheng Sun, Re-Investigation of Cobalt Porphyrin for Electrochemical Water Oxidation on FTO Surface: Formation of CoOx as Active Species. ACS Catalysis, 2017, 7, 1143-1149.
9. Peili Zhang, Hong Chen Mei Wang, Yong Yang, Jian Jiang, Biaobiao Zhang, Lele Duan, Quentin Daniel, Fusheng Li and Licheng Sun, Gas-templating of hierarchically structured Ni–Co–P for efficient electrocatalytic hydrogen evolution. Journal of Material Chemistry A 2017, 5, 7564-7570.
10. Lei Wang, Ke Fan, Hong Chen, Quentin Daniel, Bertrand Philippe, Håkan Rensmo, Licheng Sun. Towards efficient and robust anodes for water splitting: Immobilization of Ru catalysts on carbon electrode and hematite by in situ polymerization. Catalysis Today, 2017, 290, 73-77.
1. Ke Fan+, Hong Chen+, Yongfei Ji, Hui Huang, Per Martin Claesson, Quentin Daniel, Bertrand Philippe, Håkan Rensmo, Fusheng Li, Yi Luo, and Licheng Sun, Nickel–vanadium monolayer double hydroxide for efficient electrochemical water oxidation. Nature Communications, 2016, 11981.
2. Lei Wang+, Hong Chen+, Quentin Daniel, Lele Duan, Bertrand Philippe, Yi Yang, Håkan Rensmo and Licheng Sun. Promoting the Water Oxidation Catalysis by Synergistic Interactions between Ni(OH)2 and Carbon Nanotube, Advanced Energy Materials, 2016，1600516.
3. Yi Yang, Kang Shen, Jun-zhong Lin, Yong Zhou, Qiao-yun Liu, Cheng Hang, Hani Nasser Abdelhamid, Zhen-qin Zhang* and Hong Chen*. A Zn-MOF Constructed from Electron-rich π-conjugated Ligand with an Interpenetrated Graphene-like Net as an Efficient Nitroaromatic Sensor. RSC Advances, 2016, 6, 45475-45481.
4. Ram Babruvan Ambre,Quentin Daniel,Ting Fan, Hong Chen, Biaobiao Zhang,Lei Wang, Marten S. G. Ahlquist, Lele Duan and Licheng Sun. Molecular Engineering for Efficient and Selective Iron Porphyrin Catalysts for Electrochemical Reduction of CO2 to CO. Chemical Communications, 2016, 52, 14478-14481.
5. Andrey Shatskiy, Reiner Lomoth, Ahemd Abdel-Magied, Wangchuk Rabten, Tanja M. Laine, Hong Chen, Junliang Sun, Pher G. Andersson, Markus D. Kärkäs, Eric V. Johnston, Björn Åkermark, Catalyst-Solvent Interactions in a Dinuclear Ru-Based Water Oxidation Catalyst. Dalton Transactions, 2016, 45:19024-19033.
6. Jiayan Cong, Dominik Kinschel, Quentin Daniel, Majid Safdari, Erik Gabrielsson, Hong Chen, Per H. Svensson, Licheng Sun and Lars Kloo. Bis(1,1-Bis(2-pyridyl)ethane)copper(I/II) as Efficient Redox Couple for Liquid Dye-sensitized Solar Cells. Journal of Material Chemistry A, 2016,4, 14550-14554.
7. Lei Wang,Ricardo Fernández-Terán, Lei Zhang,Daniel L. A. Fernandes,Lei Tian, Hong Chen, Haining Tian, Organic Polymer Dots as Photocatalyst for Visible Light-Driven Hydrogen Generation, Angewandte Chemie International Edition , 2016, 55，12306-12310.
8. Zanyong Zhuang, Hong Chen, zhang Lin, Zhi Dang: Mn2O3 Hollow Spheres Synthesized Based on Ion-exchange Strategy from Amorphous Calcium Carbonate for Highly Efficient Trace-level Uranyl Extraction. Environmental science. Nano，2016,3, 1254-1258.
9. Zhongkai Lu, Yan Gao, Hong Chen, Zhao Liu,Lifang Chen, Licheng Sun. Efficient Molecular Ruthenium Catalysts Containing Anionic Ligands for Water Oxidation. Dalton Transactions, 2016, 45, 18459-18464.
10. Wangchuk Rabten, Torbjörn Åkermark, Markus D. Kärkäs, Hong Chen, Junliang Sun, Pher G. Andersson and Björn Åkermark. A ruthenium water oxidation catalyst based on a carboxamide ligand. Dalton Transactions, 2016, 45, 3272-3276.
11. Peili Zhang, Mei Wang, Hong Chen, Yongqi Liang, Junliang Sun, and Licheng Sun. A Cu-Based Nanoparticulate Film as Super-Active and Robust Catalyst Surpasses Pt for Electrochemical H2 Production from Neutral and Weak Acidic Aqueous Solutions. Advanced Energy Materials. 2016, 1502319.
12. Lei Wang, Lele Duan, Ram B Ambre, Quentin Daniel, Hong Chen, Junliang Sun, Biswanath Das, Anders Thapper, Jens Uhlig, Peter Dinér, Licheng Sun. A nickel (II) PY5 complex as an electrocatalyst for water oxidation. Journal of Catalysis, 2016, 335, 72–78.
13. Yong Hua, Bo Xu, Peng Liu, Hong Chen, Haining Tian, Ming Cheng, Lars Kloo, Licheng Sun. High Conductivity Ag-Based Metal Organic Complexes as DopantFree Hole-Transport Materials for Perovskite Solar Cells with High Fill Factor. Chemical Science, 2016, 7, 2633-2638.
1. Hong Chen, Jing Ju, Qingpeng Meng, Jie Su, Cong Lin, Zhengyang Zhou, Guobao Li, Weilu Wang, Wenliang Gao, Chunmei Zeng, Chiu Tang , Jianhua Lin, Tao Yang, Junliang Sun. PKU-3: An HCl-Inclusive Aluminoborate for Strecker Reaction Solved by Combining RED and PXRD. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2015, 137 , 7047–7050.
2. Qingxia Yao, Antonio Bermejo Gómez, Jie Su, Vald Pascanu, Yifeng Yun, Haoquan Zheng, Hong Chen, Leifeng Liu, Hani Nasser Abdelhamid, Belén Martín-Matute, Xiaodong Zou. Series of Highly Stable Isoreticular Lanthanide Metal–Organic Frameworks with Expanding Pore Size and Tunable Luminescent Properties. Chemistry of Materials, 2015, 27, 5332-5339.
3. Ke Fan, Fusheng Li, Lei Wang, Quentin Daniel, Hong Chen, Junliang Sun, Erik Gabrielsson, Licheng Sun, Immobilization of a Molecular Ruthenium Catalyst on Hematite Nanorod Arrays for Water Oxidation with Stable Photocurrent, ChemSusChem, 2015, 8, 3342-3347.
4. Shuo Zhang, Hong Chen, Åke C. Rasmuson. Thermodynamics and crystallization of the theophylline–salicylic acid cocrystal. CrystEngComm. 2015, 17, 4125-4135 (IF: 3.85).
5. Yun Chen, Hong Chen, Haining Tian. Immobilization of Cobalt Catalyst on Fullerene in Molecular Devices for Water Reduction. Chemical Communications. 2015, 51, 11508-11511.
6. Ying Wang, Lele Duan, Lei Wang, Hong Chen, Junliang Sun, Licheng Sun, Mårten S.G. Ahlquist. The alkene epoxidation catalysts [Ru(pdc)(tpy)] and [Ru(pdc)(pybox)] revisited: revealing a unique RuIV=O structure from a dimethyl sulfoxide coordinating complex. ACS Catalysis, 2015, 5, 3966-3972.
7. Erik Gabrielsson, Haining Tian, Susanna K. Eriksson, Jiajia Gao, Hong Chen, Junliang Sun, Håkan Rensmo, Lars Kloo, Anders Hagfeldt, Licheng Sun. Dipicolinic acid: A strong anchoring group with tunable redox and spectral behavior for stable Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. Chemical Communications. 2015, 51, 3858-3861.
8. Wangchuk Rabten, Markus D. Kärkäs, Torbjörn Åkermark, Hong Chen, Rongzhen Liao, Fredrik Tinnis, Junliang Sun, Per. E. M. Siegbahn, Pher G. Andersson, Björn Åkermark. Catalytic Water Oxidation by a Molecular Ruthenium Complex: Unexpected Generation of a Single-Site Water Oxidation Catalyst. Inorganic Chemistry, 2015, 54, 4611-4620.
9. 48. Zhong-Zhen Luo, Chen-Sheng Lin, Hong-Hua Cui, Wei-Long Zhang, Hao Zhang, Hong Chen, Zhang-Zhen He, and Wen-Dan Cheng. PbGa2MSe6 (M = Si, Ge): Two Exceptional Infrared Nonlinear Optical Crystals. Chemistry of Materials, 2015, 27, 914–922.
10. Lei Wang, Ke Fan, Quentin Daniel, Fusheng Li , Hong Chen, Junliang Sun, Licheng Sun. Electrochemical Driven Water Oxidation by Molecular Catalysts in situ Polymerized on the Surface of Graphite Carbon Electrode. Chemical Communications. 2015, 51, 7883-7866.
11. Jie Liang, Jie Su, Xiaodan Luo, Yingxia Wang, Haoquan Zheng, Hong Chen, Xiaodong Zou, Jianhua Lin, Junliang Sun. A Crystalline Mesoporous Germanate with 48-ring Channels for CO2 separation. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2015, 54, 7290-7294.
12. Bo Xu, Haining Tian, Lili Lin, Deping Qian, Hong Chen, Jinbao Zhang, Nick Vlachopoulos, Gerrit Boschloo, Yi Luo, Fengling Zhang, Anders Hagfeldt, Licheng Sun. Integrated Design of Organic Hole Transport Materials for Efficient Solid-state Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. Advanced Energy Materials. 2015，1401185.
1. Wei Hua+, Hong Chen+, Zhengbao Yu+, Xiaodong Zou, Jianhua Lin, Junliang Sun, A Stable Germanosilicate with 11×11×12-ring Channels Solved by Electron Crystallography. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2014, 53, 5868–5871.
2. Hong Chen, ZhengbaoYu, Zoltan Bacsik, Huishuang Zhao, Qingxia Yao, Junliang Sun, Construction of Mesoporous Frameworks with Vanadoborate Clusters. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2014, 126, 3682-3685.
3. Hong Chen, Huishuang Zhao, Zheng-Bao Yu, Lei Wang, Licheng Sun, Junliang Sun.Construct Polyoxometalate frameworks through Covalent Bonds. Inorganic Chemistry, 2015, 5, 8699-8704.
4. Hong Chen, Yunfeng Zhang, Zheng-Bao Yu, Junliang Sun. Layered V–B–O polyoxometalate nets linked by diethylenetriamine complexes with dangling amine groups, Dalton Transactions. 2014, 43, 15283-15286.
5. Hong Chen, Siyuan Luo, Xiuling Wu, Yongqian Wang, Bo Hu, Chao Hu, Gang Huang, Qiaoxin Du. Synthesis, structure, and luminescent properties of 2 novel 5-chlorhydroxybenzoate-imidazole metal-organic complexes. Turkish Journal of Chemistry, 2014, 38, 79-87.
6. Hong Chen, Li Zhang, Bo Hu, Xiu-Ling Wu, Tao Wang, Gang Huang, Yong-Qian Wang, Chang-Zhen Liu, Crystal structure and luminescence of two cadmium 3,4,5-trimethoxylbenzoate complexes. Journal of Structural Chemistry, 2014, 55, 89-95.
7. Kaiyou Zhang, Hong Chen, Xue Wang, Donglin Guo, Chenguo Hu, Shuxia Wang, Junliang Sun, Qiang Leng, Synthesis and structure determination of potassium copper selenide nanowires and solid-state supercapacitor application. Journal of Power Sources, 2014, 268, 522-532.
8. Huaiyu Yang, Hong Chen, Åke Rasmuson. Sandwich Crystals of Butyl Paraben. CrystEngComm. 2014, 16, 8863-8873.
9. Jing Huang, Bo Xu, Chunze Yuan, Hong Chen, Junliang Sun, Licheng Sun and Hans Ågren. Improved Performance of Colloidal CdSe Quantum Dot-Sensitized Solar Cells by Hybrid Passivation. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2014, 6, 18808–18815.
10. Haining Tian , Bo Xu , Hong Chen, Gerrit Boschloo, Erik Johansson, Solid-State -Sensitized p-Type Mesoporous Nickel Oxide Solar Cells. ChemSusChem, 2014, 7, 2150-2153.
1. Hong Chen, Youqian Deng, Zhengbao Yu, Huishuang Zhao, Qingxia Yao, Xiaodong Zou, Jan-E. Bäckvall, Junliang Sun. 3D Open-Framework Vanadoborate as Highly Effective Heterogeneous Pre-Catalyst for Oxidation of Alkylbenzenes. Chemistry of Materials, 2013, 25, 5031–5036.
2. Markus D. Kärkäs, Torbjörn Åkermark, Hong Chen, Junliang Sun, Björn Åkermark, A Tailor-Made Molecular Ruthenium Catalyst for the Oxidation of Water and Its Deactivation through Poisoning by Carbon Monoxide. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2013, 52, 4189–4193.
3. Leifeng Liu , Zheng-Bao Yu , Hong Chen , Youqian Deng , Bao-Lin Lee , and Junliang Sun. Disorder in Extra-Large Pore Zeolite ITQ-33 Revealed by Single Crystal XRD. Crystal Growth ＆Design, 2013, 13, 4168–4171.