Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) is a public university founded in the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone of China.
SUSTech offers an unparalleled learning and research experience at the scientific and technological frontiers.
SUSTech offers unprecedented opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to work alongside the faculty to explore and tackle both fundamental and practical problems.
The Global Engagement Office (GEO) is responsible for forming and implementing a coherent strategy to promote the University’s international development and global profile.
The undergraduate admission of SUSTech adopts comprehensive evaluation enrollment mode based on national college entrance examination.The graduate admission of SUSTech currently adopts joint training mode.
The main duties of SUSTCEF is to accept the donations from the domestic and foreign associations, enterprises, trading companies and individuals, and establish the funding projects depending on the demands of the university and the wishes of the donors.
Ph.D.,in Materials Science and Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2009
M.S.,in Chemical Engineering, Tsinghua University (Beijing),2005
B.S.,in Chemical Engineering, Tsinghua University (Beijing),2002
Associate Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, South University of Science and Technology of China,2013.7–
Associate Professor, Department of Micro-Nano Materials and Devices, South University of Science and Technology ofChina, 2012.12– 2013.7
Research Associate, Center for Functional Nanomaterials, Brookhaven National Laboratory,USA, 2009 – 2012
Research Assistant, Polymer Technology Center, Texas A&M University,USA, 2005 – 2009
Honors & Awards:
Overseas High-Caliber Personnel(Level B), Shenzhen, 2013
Brook haven Spotlight Award,USA, 2012
The Most Cited Paper of 2009 in Food Safety Division, Journal of Food Science, Institute of Food Technologists, 2012
· SouthTexas SPE Scholarship in Polymer Modifiers & Additives Division,USA, 2007
· PosterAward at Polyolefin International Conference, Houston,USA,2007
· SouthTexas SPE and Henry Kahn Memorial Scholarship,USA, 2006
Friends of Tsinghua University Top Scholarship (the highest level),China, 2003
First Prize Winner for National Olympic Contest of Chemistry, Chinese Chemical Society, 1997
Soft matter is an important class of materials, the physical properties of which are determined by their interactions, structures and dynamics at mesoscopic scales. Soft materials include colloids, suspensions, emulsions, gels, liquid crystals, polymers, biomaterials, and so on. The study on soft matter is highly multidisciplinary. We use the knowledge from physics, chemistry, biology, materials science and engineering, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, as well as electrical engineering to understand soft matter. We fabricate useful materials and devices for optical, electrical, energy, biological, and various engineering applications.
Self- and directed-assembly of materials
· Nanomaterials synthesis and surface modification
· Polymer processing and composites
· Applied colloidal dispersions
· Experimental soft matter physics
1. Sun,D.; Gang,O., DNA-Functionalized Quantum Dots: Fabrication, Structural, and Physicochemical Properties. Langmuir 2013, 29, 7038-7041.
2. Sun,D.;Stadler, A.L.; Gurevich, M.; Palma, E.; Stach, E.; van de Lelie, D.; Gang, O.,Heterogeneous Nanoclusters Assembled by PNA-templated Double-stranded DNA. Nanoscale2012, 4, 6722.
3. Sun,D.; Gang,O., Binary Heterogeneous Superlattices Assembled from Quantum Dots and Gold Nanoparticles with DNA. Journal of the American Chemical Society2011, 133, 5252-5254.
4. Stadler,A.L.*; Sun, D.*; Maye, M.M.; van de Lelie, D.; Gang, O., Site-Selective Binding of Nanoparticles to Double-Stranded DNA via Peptide Nucleic Acid “Invasion”. ACS Nano 2011, 5, 2467-2474. *Equal contribution
5. Sun,D.; Chu, C.-C.; Sue, H.-J., Simple Approach for Preparation of Epoxy Hybrid Nanocomposites Based on Carbon Nanotubes and a Model Clay. Chemistryof Materials 2010, 22,3773-3778.
6. Sun,D.; Everett, W.N.; Chu,C.-C.; Sue, H.-J., Single-walled Carbon Nanotube Dispersion with Electrostatically Tethered Nanoplatelets. Small 2009, 5, 2692-2697.
7. Sun,D.; Sue,H.-J.; Cheng, Z.D.; Martinez-Raton, Y.; Velasco, E., Stable Smectic Phase in Suspensions of Polydisperse Colloidal Platelets with Identical Thickness. Physical Review E 2009, 80, 041704.
8. Sun,D.; Sue,H.-J., Tunable Ultraviolet Emission of ZnO Quantum Dots in Transparent Poly(methyl methacrylate). Applied Physics Letters 2009, 94, 253106.
9. Sun,D.;Everett, W.N.; Wong, M.H.; Sue, H.-J.; Miyatake, N., Dispersion Tuning of Ligand-free ZnO Quantum Dots in Polymer Matrices with Exfoliated Nanoplatelets.Macromolecules2009, 42, 1665-1671.
10. Jin,T.; Sun, D.; Su, J. Y.; Zhang, H.; Sue, H.-J., Antimicrobial Activity of Zinc Oxide Quantum Dots against Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella Enteritidis and Escherichia coli O157:H7. Journal of Food Science2009, 74, M46-M52.
11. Sun,D.; Sue,H.-J.; Miyatake, N., Optical Properties of ZnO Quantum Dots in Epoxy with Controlled Dispersions. Journal of Physical Chemistry C2008, 112, 16002-16010.
12. Sun,D.; Wong,M.H.; Sun, L.Y.; Li, Y.T.; Miyatake, N.; Sue, H.-J., Purification and stabilization of colloidal ZnO nanoparticles in methanol. Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology 2007, 43, 237-243.
13. Sun,D.; Miyatake,N.; Sue, H.-J., Transparent PMMA/ZnO nanocomposite films based on colloidal ZnO quantum dots. Nanotechnology 2007, 18,215606 (6pp).
14. Sun,L.Y.; Boo, W.J.; Sun, D.; Clearfield,A.; Sue, H.-J., Preparation of exfoliated epoxy/alpha- zirconium phosphate nanocomposites containing high aspect ratio nanoplatelets. Chemistry of Materials 2007, 19, 1749-1754.
1. Sun, D.; Sue, H.-J., et. al. “Polymer Nanocomposites Containing Dispersed Nanoparticles and Exfoliated Nanoplatelets” US Patent No. 8344054 B2.Issued date: 1-1-2013.
2. Sue,H.-J.; Cheng, X.; Sun, D.; Li, H.; Chu,C.-C. “Dispersion, Alignment and Deposition of Nanotubes” US Patent No. 8197888.Issued date: 6-12-2012.
3. Sun, D.;Everett, N.W.; Sue, H.-J., et. al. “Water-soluble nanoparticles with controlled aggregate sizes”US Patent No. 8101838. Issued date: 1-24-2012.