Established by the Municipality of Shenzhen, the Southern University of Science and Technology is a publicly funded university in the Guangdong Province.
The SUSTech is a university dominated by science and engineering, combining part of characteristic humanities social sciences and management subjects.
The SUSTech cultivates quality talents with perfect personality, solid foundation, excellent ability, international view, social responsibility, innovative spirits and practical ability through the leading talent cultivation system on the basis of credit system, tutor system and college system and taking personalized, small class and international as features of talent cultivation.
The SUSTech has been determined as the experimental school of national higher education comprehensive reform. In April 2012, the Ministry of Education agreed to establish the school and give the school a great mission to explore the modern university system Chinese characteristics and training mode of innovative talents.
The Global Engagement Office (GEO) is responsible for forming and implementing a coherent strategy to promote the University’s international development and global profile.
SUSTech will adopt management mode of collegiate system for undergraduate students and create a wonderful college life for students by taking platforms such as college, Youth League Committee and communities as carriers.
The undergraduate admission of SUSTech adopts comprehensive evaluation enrollment mode based on national college entrance examination.The graduate admission of SUSTech currently adopts joint training mode.
The SUSTech Education Foundation consists of board of directors, board of supervisors and secretariat. The board of directors is the top of the power structure of the foundation; the board of supervisors is responsible to check finance and accounting information in accordance with law and regulations; secretariat is the standing administrative unit of the foundation, which is responsible to the daily work of the foundation under the leading of leaders in the board of directors.
1. Guiding ideology
In line with the school running characteristics, objective and orientation, regard cultivating “topnotch innovative personnel” as goal, highlight the basis of students, fully respect the interests and specialities of students, insist on the principle of “broadening (specialty) range, strengthening (discipline) basis, encouraging (discipline) cross, and choosing (major) in multiple times”, construct a personnel training system with diversification and individuation, orient the future needs of the country, cultivate topnotch innovative personnel with harmonious development of knowledge, ability and quality, possessing healthy personality and critical thinking skill, social care and international view, mastering basic theories, knowledge, and skills of relevant fields after strict scientific thinking training, obtaining solid professional theoretical and professional skill training, playing the potential leading role in relevant basic disciplines and engineering fields. ”
2. Principles of formulation
The training program is based on the characteristics of talent training of SUSTC (Flexible talent cultivation mechanism of “2+2”, “1+2+1” and “3+1” combining flexible educational system, collegiate system, tutorial system, credit system, small class orientation, individuation, internationalization), integrates general knowledge and common learned course with professional course structure system, highlights the schooling superiority on the basis of analysis of professional personnel cultivation project of close disciplines in international first class university, formulates the program to develop the features and advantages of every discipline and specialty. The following principles should be followed in the process of formulating the training program:
1. Promote holistic education: Combing with the personnel training mode of SUSTC, the training program should actively promote liberal education, strengthen early basic education, optimize professional education in the late stage, focus on interdisciplinary, and integrate subject knowledge with skill education, innovation ability training and personality cultivation.
2. Facilitate cultivation with individual characters: Insist on the student based concept, encourage the students in independent study and active learning, develop the potential individuality of students, provide adequate opportunity for the specialty selection, course module and successful path of students in course setup. In addition to the compulsory courses for the whole university and major compulsory courses specified in the training program, it should allow students to select other optional courses, to form a personalized learning plan under the guidance of tutors.
3. Unified normalization and openness: The formulation of the training program should refer to the standard of academic disciplines, construct a structure of knowledge, ability and literacy training and course system that is standard and conform to objective law of teaching, meet the requirements of disciplinary development, include subject frontier knowledge and reflect the international advanced features; it should moderately reduce the proportion of major compulsory courses and improve the proportion of optional courses.
4. Optimize credit allocation: Scientifically and reasonably allocate the credits proportion between mandatory course and optional course according to the requirements of cultivation with individual characters, reserve space for the formulation of personalized learning plan for students; make teaching arrangement in accordance with the perceiver developing law of students and effective experience of talent cultivation, reasonably set credit proportion of each academic year and semester, effectively achieve the training objective and meet the needs of personality development of students.
5. Encourage interdisciplinary: Actively construct the “integrated curriculum” of interdisciplinary and trans disciplinary, open the resources of professional basic courses and specialized courses to the whole university, encourage students to select optional courses of trans-disciplinary, carry out scientific research, conduct innovation training and finish graduation project and dissertation.
6. Strengthen experimental (practical), innovative courses: Fully integrate and develop experimental and practical courses resources according to the specialized characteristic of discipline, set multi type, multilevel and cross type scientific research training and internship, practical programs as many as possible, cultivate the abilities of students, such as innovation ability, ability to find questions and solve questions.
3. Course structure and setup
1. Theoretical courses: The theoretical courses of every major include general knowledge and common learned compulsory courses, major foundation courses, major core courses, humanistic scientific literacy and ability improvement courses
(1) General knowledge and common learned compulsory courses include courses of instrumental knowledge, natural science knowledge, knowledge of engineering technology, ideological and political moral character, social and historical heritage and economic law and so on.
(2) Major foundation courses: the major foundation courses of every major set course module according to discipline categories; some courses between various course modules can be crossed and selection of interdisciplinary course for students should be encouraged. Major foundation courses should be set between the second and third academic year.
(3) Major core courses: Major core courses are the core of course system and they have productivity and are different from the courses of other majors; this kind courses will be set in the second half semester of the third academic year and the first semester of the fourth academic year.
(4) Courses of humanistic scientific literacy and ability improvement include optional courses of general knowledge and major, in which, the optional courses of general knowledge can be divided into natural sciences and engineering (interdisciplinary course), social culture and human civilization, literature and history classics and Chinese cultural heritage, art and aesthetics. Major optional courses should be set according to the specific features of each major of every department. This kind of courses should more efficiently and systematically perfect the knowledge structure of students, promote the improvement of quality and ability of students, achieve the training goal of holistic education.
2. Practical courses include practice teaching link, extended projects of innovative ability and so on.
(1) The formulation of training program for talents with bachelor degree should pay attention to the practical teaching, especially the integration and design of the course, strive to set experiments from the aspect of scientific research, incorporate the latest research results into the experiments, put the cultivation of comprehensive ability and personality of students into effect.
(2) Internship and practical training: it refers to the compulsory practice teaching link, including experiments, internship, courses design, large scale works, graduation project and graduation thesis, military training etc. set by every major.
(3) Extended projects of innovative ability: the project will be set or arranged mainly in accordance with the principle of “interest driven and autonomously practice”, including various scientific research activities, subject simulation competitions, science and technology innovative projects, social practices and social investigations, further education (exchange) in domestic and overseas and so on.
4. tipulation of credit
The undergraduate major of SUSTC will set the lowest credits of graduation and students who meet the requirements of credit of their major can be graduated.
Please login the “Synthetically Educational Administration System” to inquiry the training program of each grade and each major.
Attachment: Notice about amendment of training program for talents with bachelor degree in SUSTC